The Pro-Wheel Shavers are precision devices that will 'shave time' off your pinewood derby runs by:
- Creating a wheel which is perfectly round, and true to the wheel bore.
- Truing the inside edge of the wheel by removing molding marks and excess material.
Introducing the Pro-Wheel Shaver XT with Screw-adjustable Blade Depth!
For more accuracy and ease of use, the Pro-Wheel Shaver XT is equipped with screw-adjustable blade depth! Just turn the knob to raise or lower the blade. In addition, an upgrade kit is available to convert the Pro-Wheel Shaver and the Pro-Wheel Shaver II to a Pro-Wheel Shaver XT.
- The Pro-Wheel Shavers are intended for use on wheels made of a hard plastic, such as those included in kits offered by BSA, PineCar, Royal Rangers, S&W, and Royal Ambassadors.
- The Pro-Wheel Shavers are not intended for use on wheels made of a soft plastic, such as those offered by Awana and PinePro.
A Pro-Hub Tool is required to use a Pro-Wheel Shaver.
The Pro-Wheel Shaver II is similar to the Pro-Wheel Shaver, but is equipped with an improved blade holding system.
The Pro-Wheel Shaver II is designed to create round and true wheels by removing tread material. It is intended for use on wheels made of a relatively hard plastic,such as those offered by BSA,PineCar,Royal Rangers,S&W,and Royal Ambassadors. It is not intended for wheels made of a relatively soft plastic,such as those offered by Awana and PinePro. To use the Pro-Wheel Shaver II,a Pro Hub Tool (not included) and a 5/32" Hex Key (shipped with the Pro-Wheel Shaver II) are required.
Ream the Wheel Bores
- Test fit each wheel on the Pro-Hub Tool.
- Follow the instructions with the Pro-Hub Tool to ream any undersized wheel bores.
- Royal Ranger and S&W Kits Only - Ream the wheel bores by hand with a 1/8" drill bit.
- Slide the Pro-Wheel Shaver II onto the Pro-Hub Tool,until 1-3/16" (critical measurement) of the Pro-Hub Tool is exposed (see Figure 1). Use a 5/32" Hex Key to firmly tighten the Pro-Wheel Shaver II to the Pro-Hub Tool.
- Loosen the screw holding the cutting blade,and slide the blade towards the Pro-Hub Tool as far as possible. Tighten the cutting blade.
- Mount a wheel with the inside wheel hub facing the Pro-Hub Tool.
- While pressing the wheel against the blade,rotate the wheel five complete revolutions counterclockwise.
- Remove the wheel,and repeat steps 6 and 7 for the remaining three wheels.
- Slide the Pro-Wheel Shaver II onto the Pro-Hub Tool,until 5/8" of the Pro-Hub Tool is exposed (see Figure 1). Use a 5/32" Hex Key to firmly tighten the Pro-Wheel Shaver II to the Pro-Hub Tool.
- Loosen the screw holding the cutting blade.
- Royal Ranger and S&W kit wheels only - Slide a short piece of 1/8" brass tubing over the pin or the Pro-Hub Tool.
- Slide a wheel onto the Pro-Hub Tool.
- Rotate the wheel and move the blade to identify the highest spot on the wheel.
- Rotate the wheel 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn and press the blade against the wheel.
- While holding the blade firmly against the wheel,tighten the blade. Press the blade against the wheel; do not press the wheel against the blade.
- Turn the wheel counterclockwise and make five complete wheel rotations.
- Slightly loosen the screw connecting the Pro-Wheel Shaver II to the Pro-Hub Tool. Pull the wheel off of the Pro-Hub Tool and slide the next wheel onto the Pro-Hub.
- Repeat steps 16 to 17 for the remaining wheels.
- Repeat the previous two sections until the wheels no longer have low and high spots.
- For the final pass,continue turning until all possible material is removed.
- Use a Pro-Wheel Mandrel and wet/dry 600 grit sandpaper to polish the wheels.
- Additional polishing may be performed if desired.
- Apply a protective spray coating such as WD-40 or equivalent and store the tool in a plastic bag.
If your kit has narrow wheels (Royal Rangers,S&W,Royal Ambassadors,etc.),skip to "TRUING THE TREAD SURFACE".
Truing The Wheel Edge
Truing the Tread Surface
Mount Pro-Wheel Shaver II
Mount First Wheel
- The Pro-Wheel Shaver II is a hand-powered lathe. It removes tread material such that the resulting wheel is round. With a little practice,wheels can be machined to within 1 thousandths of an inch (0.001). Check your local rules to make sure that lathed wheels are allowed in your race.
- The Pro-Wheel Shaver II is intended for adult use,as it requires adult hand strength to loosen and tighten the adjustment bolts and to turn the wheels.
- Although the blade does not have a knife-like edge,use care to minimize the risk of an injury. If the blade ceases to shave the wheel,the cutting edge can be restored with a fine honing stone or a fine-toothed file.
- For best results practice with a spare set of wheels before truing the target wheels.
- Fine cross-cuts may be created on the wheel tread surface which cannot be completely removed by polishing. These cuts should not affect the performance of the wheel.
No posts found